060626 Toadstool Geologic Park is noted for its unusual geological formations, some in the shape of toadstools, and scientifically valuable fossil deposits. Located northwest corner of Nebraska. I heard about it as a place to visit on the Built to go podcast, so I put it on my list for on my way west. The campground consists of 12 sites with picnic tables, fire rings, upright grills and two accessible vault toilets. There is no water. There were three tent campers already there when I arrived. I parked and took the campground loop trail that featured information from a very informative Earthcache GC2CHP2. The weather was cooler in the afternoon, I was ready for a nice peaceful evening sitting at the picnic table with my salad and grilled ham & cheese with tasty Hungarian peppers.
That's when a gust of wind blew my cap off. I looked up from my meal to see a dark sky beyond the foot hills, thunderstorm to the southwest. I looked at the weather app which showed the rain starting a 2100.
After the sun went down, I sat outside to watch the lightning and take some pictures. It was quite the show as the storm looked like it would pass to the west. At about 2015, I went inside and cleanup my dinner mess and put on an audiobook.
The rain started right at 2100 and the wind was rocking the van. I was just thinking about hitting the sack when I received a weather alert on my phone. There was a link to a Nebraska Special Weather Statement that warned wind gusts up to 50 mph and penny sized hail. I stepped outside to determine the wind direction in case I need to move the van, thinking I would be ok with 50 mph head on but not broadside. The wind was coming right at my port side and the other campers were gone! I packed up and got out of the area. I ended up in Crawford NE, about 20 miles southeast. I found a place to camp at the city park. Crawford City Park Campground.
I probably would have been fine if I stayed at Toadstool. I guess I will never know. Crawford was peaceful and there was no wind to speak of. I may have over reacted but I live to camp another day.
👀👀👀👀Here a link to the rest of the photos. 👀👀👀👀👀
Thanks for visiting.





No comments:
Post a Comment