60326 After getting an oil change it Wichita, I proceeded north towards the state border with Nebraska. I stayed at another Army Corps of Engineers campground called Methodist Cove Campground in the city of Alma NE. This puts a new state sticker on my water bottle. They have showers, coin laundry and dump station. I spent the next day bike riding a nice trail into town, I found the only cache along the trail and went to the bank to get quarters for the laundry. Had to ride through a flock of sheep!
I left the next day driving west past Chimney Rock and into Scott’s Bluff. This was a pleasant surprise. I never heard of this place before and I was surprised how such a significant landmark would be so unpopular. This was(is) the real gateway to the west. Maybe because it’s named after an unfortunate fur trapper, Hiram Scot, who died there at the base of the pass in 1828 and not for some famous politician. There is a visitor center and a driving self tour of the north side of the landmark. Layers of sandstone, volcanic rock and limestone concentrations are exposed after years of erosion, telling the geological story in the area. I found it well worth the visit and took my time enjoying the scenery.
It was late in the afternoon when I pulled into a non hookup space at the Riverside Campground in the town of Scottsbluff NE.

I have never heard of it. Cool mountain.
ReplyDelete